Let Your Cowboy or Cowgirl Be the New Sheriff in Town With a Western Birthday Party
We know that children love to make believe they are cowboys and cowgirls in the old west, so we’ve compiled this list to help you create a magical, memorable western birthday party:
1. Hand out Western Party Favors:
2. Make Grocery Bag Vests:
“Make Groc’ry Bag Vests: This is
both a craft and activity that
should keep yer little cowhands
busy at their western birthday
party. Yee Haw!”
Have enough large grocery store brown bags ready for each child. Before the party, have the vests cut out and ready to go.
1. Get a paper grocery bag that has three parts: flap, sides, and the top edge (the opening).
2. Place the unfolded bag on a flat surface, bottom folded flap facing up. The top edge should be nearest you and find and mark the middle (approximately 6 inches).
3. On the closed flap, draw a 4 inch circle in the center for the neck opening.
4. Open the paper bag completely. Find your mark along the top and cut a straight line from the edge up to your circle and then cut out the circle.
5. On the sides of the paper bag at about 2 inches down , cut an oval on each side (about 6 inches in diameter) for the arm openings.
6. Fringe the bottom with a pair of scissors
When the children start to arrive, have them decorate the western vests any way they’d like with stickers, crayons, markers, etc.
3. Lasso Tug of War:
“E’rybody loves a good
tug o’ war game
– so lasso away!”
4. California Gold Rush Hunt:
If the weather permits, simply fill a small wading pool up with water and have some sifting pans ready for gold prospecting. Put some play sand in the bottom. Simply buy or collect rocks and paint some yellow or use liquid gold paint for the gold nuggets. Have the children roll up their pants and wade and seine for gold.
6. Hay Scavenger Hunt:
Hide coins, small toys, etc. in a pile of straw. Have the kids search through until they find their prizes.
7. Square Dancing:
Prepare or buy a CD of country music and teach the kids a short, simple square dance or line dance to complete the western birthday party. After this, tell them it’s time to ride off into the sunset.
BPK Tip: Looking for a matching costume or extra supplies? View them all at Cowboy and Cowgirl Party Supplies